Hey guys, welcome to my first blog post. So I thought today I will share my most popular recipe which was the most viewed recipe video on my Youtube channel. It is my Vanilla Rainbow Cupcakes.
It is really simple to make and it is a perfect dessert if you’re trying to impress someone or some people. Therefore it is a great party food and you can also make this for Pride.
So before you start making your cupcakes you will need to preheat your oven at 180 0C or 350 0F. You will also need to line your cupcake trays or molds with paper liners.
Next in a large bowl whisk all your dry ingredients until they are homogenous and set it aside for now. Then in another bowl cream your butter and sugar (which basically means to whisk them together until they are a smooth mixture). First cream the butter till its pale yellow and then add your sugar in three parts making sure each part is well combined before adding the next part. Next add one egg at a time till they are mixed well and then the vanilla extract.
Now we will add the dry ingredients that we previously mixed and set aside, alternating with the milk. So add your dry ingredients into 3 parts and the milk in 2 parts.
After everything is mixed we will divide the batter equally into 6 bowls and add the food colouring. I didn’t have all the colours, I only have the primary colour set, so I combined them to achieve my desired colours. So you will need red, yellow and blue food colouring for this recipe. In one bowl add red food colour, in the 2nd bowl add red and yellow food colour, in the 3rd yellow, 4th blue and yellow, 5th just blue and finally in the 6th red and blue. Therefore you will get red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple respectively. Add the colours according to your preferred shade.
Next we are going to pour the batter into the liners we prepared earlier. Add half to one spoonful batter into the liners. Start with the purple batter, then add the blue batter in the same amounts, then the green, the yellow, the orange and lastly the red.
Now bake them at 180 0C for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. After they’ve baked let them cool for about an hour in the tray/molds and then decorate them with vanilla buttercream and some sprinkles or demerara sugar.
- Always begin with the dry and end with the dry ingredients. We do this to ensure that the batter doesn’t separate because if you add the milk first the butter will become saturated, the butter will separate and the milk will stay on top and we definitely don’t want that.
- Use gel food colouring.
- Crack the eggs in a separate bowl just to ensure that they are not bad. If you don’t check your eggs before adding them to the butter mixture there are chances of the entire mix to be ruined if the egg is bad.
|Makes 12 cupcakes 1hr 180 0C|
150g all purpose flour
125ml whole milk
1 1 / 4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
red, yellow, blue food colour
pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven at 180 0C and line cupcake molds/trays with cupcake liners/cases. Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and set it aside.
2. In another bowl cream butter till its pale in colour and then add the sugar in 3 parts.
3. Add eggs one at a time followed by a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Mix them thoroughly.
4. Add the dry ingredients and the milk alternatingly. Starting with the dry ingredients and ending with them. Combine them until the batter looks smooth and homogenous.
5. Divide the batter equally into 6 bowls and add the food colours. In one bowl add red, in another red and yellow, then yellow in another, blue and green in the 4th bowl, blue in the 5th and red and blue in the 6th.
6. Add one or half spoonful (tablespoon) batter of each colour into each cupcake liners. Starting with purple, followed by blue, green, yellow, orange and red.
7. Bake them for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool them for an hour or two.
8. Decorate with Vanilla Buttercream and sprinkles and enjoy!