Among the many pasta sauces, bolognese is one of the most popular sauce. It’s my favourite pasta sauce. It takes longer to prepare than any other sauce like alfredo sauce or pesto but it’s worth the wait. It’s rich, luxurious and paired with the right pasta, it is a lip-smacking plate of pasta.
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED
- 40g Butter
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 85g Tomato Puree
- 200g Beef Mince
- 2 Bay leaves
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 60g Mushroom
- 1 Carrot
- 1 medium sized Onion
- 350ml Chicken/Beef Stock
- 200g Pasta (use fettucini/spaghetti)
- 60ml Cream
- Dice onion and carrot into small cubes and slice the mushrooms. Smash each garlic with the flat side of your knife and then chop longitudinally. Set them aside.
- In a saucepan over medium flame heat both oil and butter.
- Add onions and garlic. Cook them for 10-15 minutes or until the onions turn translucent. Next add carrots and mushroom and cook for another 3 minutes.
- After that add the beef mince into the saucepan and break the mince apart and cook till the pink tinge of the meat is gone.
- Next we will add the oregano, tomato puree, salt and pepper. Mix them well and then pour in the stock and add the bay leaves. Cover the saucepan and simmer for half an hour till the stock has been reduced.
- During this time boil your pasta according to the instructions given by the manufacturer. Reserve some pasta water, about 1/4 cup.
- When the stock has reduced add the cream and cook for 1-2 minutes. If you think the meat sauce has become too thick and not according to the consistency you had in mind add the reserved pasta water. (NOTE: ADDING THE PASTA WATER IS NOT MANDATORY)
- When you are pleased with the consistency of your sauce add in your pasta and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the pasta is completely coated with the sauce.
- Plate up and enjoy. Garnish with parley (optional).